"Love to live, and live to love" - Amy Carmichael



Monday, February 20, 2012

To Mexico and Back...and lived to tell about it

To be honest, it felt a little bit like an accomplishment to travel with the kids to Mexico and back. I was beginning to wonder how well we would survive on our flights down. Our travel day began at 5 am, which looking back, could have been our biggest mistake. Both of the kids, on separate occasions, threw melt downs on the plane. When I say meltdowns, I don't mean a few tears were shed, I mean kicking, screaming, and gnashing of teeth. They both gave me that look of terror that makes you question whether or not your child is completely normal. Thankfully, the passengers were gracious to us as we explained how tired and hungry they must be. The airport is definitely not designed for tired and bored toddlers. On our second flight, we sat on the tarmac for 3.5 hours waiting for some technical problems to be fixed. While the kids and I roamed the isle to stretch our legs, Finley tripped and fell flat on her face and busted her upper lip. I threw Ryder in some strangers lap and rushed her back to our seat to find something to stop the bleeding. Poor girl, sat in her seat with an ice pack on her lip and tears rolling down her face. By the time the plane took off, the kids were tired of their seats and ready for dinner. I also discovered how congested I was when we descended. Both flights sent me writhing in pain as I felt the pressure build up in my head. I really wasn't sure if my head might eventually explode. I had never experienced anything like it. After going through customs and dragging 5 heavy bags through security, I about crumbled into Grammy's arms and said, "take me to my bed." She said some magical words in the car about taking the kids in the morning and letting Ted and I sleep in, a generous offer that we quickly accepted.





Waking up to the Sea of Cortez is just about as enchanting as flying over the Grand Canyon. Your eyes rest on the sparkling ocean with big mysterious boats floating on top. The resort pool is like a big mirror with people slowly wandering the perimeter. The sun is bright and cheerful, massaging your skin and inviting you to sit, close your eyes, and forget anything you were ever anxious about. I spent many moments on our trip just sitting and breathing, something I had not done in months. No laundry, no cooking, no cleaning, just time to enjoy my husband and kids. I felt so thankful for the break, and for the chance to watch my kids explore the beach.

We quickly discovered that Ryder loves Mexican food. He surprised us by cleaning his plate every night and even spooning hot salsa straight into his mouth. He informed all of us, "I like it, PICY!" Even the Mexican waiters were entertained. He was in awe of the mariachi bands and as equally enthralled by the sand. We laughed at how he could plant himself in one spot for hours moving sand from one container to the next. Finley ran all over the beach collecting water for her dirt soup and building hills that she could tear down. She always wanted to be a part of the adult conversations. One night, we were discussing dirty things in restaurants, like lemon slices, and Finley turned to Ted and said, "the next dirty thing we are going to talk about is....dirt." One afternoon, I asked her if she wanted to go with me to Grammy's room and she answered excitedly, "I would be delighted to...that means I will!"






The dinners we ate were incredible. My favorite was Flora Farms which is a restaurant built in the middle of a farm, where they grow everything that they serve. We were a little unsure why Grammy and Pappou would take us through some long windy dirt roads for one meal, until we arrived. It turned out to be a little oasis in the dessert, a unique little establishment surrounded by lush palm trees and rows of vegetables. We went there on Valentines night, which was extra special. They had heart ornaments dangling from trees, a jazz musician, hearts drawn on appetizers and desserts, and Norah Jones playing in the background. I felt like I was experiencing something out of a magazine because everything was so beautifully done. The night would have been a fantastic memory if Finney hadn't danced over to a ground light and touched the scorching glass. The night ended with her balling and icing a second degree burn while a stressed out daddy deliberated over treatment.






















Fortunately, Ted and I got some time to ourselves, a date night and breakfast on the beach. It was a memorable trip, both for the joyful moments and the disasters. All in the name of family bonding, because isn't that always how it feels? Exhausting and wonderful at the same time. I'm so deeply thankful for the experience and glad that I have these pictures to look at every time I want to smile. Thank you Grammy and Pappou for the memories!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Loved reading this - glad you had a great time. I can surely relate to the flight experience, although 3.5 hours on the tarmac is cruelly brutal.